As a roof ages, problems with the roof can increase. The fate of the roof depends on how these problems are addressed. Quality installation and consistent maintenance are important steps in maintaining your roof or in catching problems early. Keeping a look out for these roofing problems can help you better maintain and prolong the life of your roof, or avoid significant damage.
- A common problem in the winter is when snow melts from the top of the roof and refreezes at the overhangs where the roof is cooler. Water can back up into your house because of this, which causes damage. Proper ventilation, insulation, and underlayment under your shingles can prevent this.
- Roof leaks can occur for many reasons. Flashing could have deteriorated, or may no longer be working.
- Blow-offs, tenting, reduced wind uplift resistance, and billowing are problems. Areas where flashing is poorly attached may cause open seams and laps that can cause blow-offs and reduced the resistance to punctures.
- Punctures on high traffic areas can cause premature problems with the roof membrane. It can damage the underlying substrate.
- Poor installation or faulty installation increases the likelihood of problems and reduces a roof’s life expectancy. It is good to know if your roof has been installed properly.
- If you need repairs, any improper repairs or materials that are used that aren’t intended for your specific roof type can cause permanent damage.
- Lack of maintenance, or not being aware of problems. Looking for ponding water or shingles that look like they are aging or deteriorating can help you know when to assess problems before they escalate.
- Ponding water is where water ponds in specific areas and can seep in and cause water damage to a roof.
- UV rays can deteriorate a roof.
- Single-ply roof types can have issues with flashings being pulled off, or because of deterioration.
- Blistering, ridging, splitting, and surface erosion can eventually lead to bigger problems. While blisters are not always worth fixing, one of significant size should be addressed.
Call Adam Vaillancourt Roofing at 603-673-0006 to schedule an evaluation with a trained roofing specialist.